— Circa 1881 —In 1870, Southern Pacific Railroad assumed ownership of the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, which had originally been opened as an independent railroad in 1863. The second stop south of San Francisco, in what was the center of the larger Northern San Mateo County area historically known as Colma was called the Schoolhouse Stop. The name for the station came from the nearby one-room schoolhouse on San Pedro Road, the most recognizable landmark in the rural landscape at the time. Schoolhouse Stop was one of twenty-one stops built between San Francisco and San Jose. In 1881, Southern Pacific constructed the freight shed adjacent to the Schoolhouse Stop. The freight shed was used for storing and shipping the abundant agricultural produce grown in Northern San Mateo County including cabbage, brussel sprouts, flowers and grain. San Mateo County had become the top producer of cabbage, shipping to Chicago and other eastern cities. An article in the San Francisco Chronicle, dated March 1893, described how, in February 1893, just over one million pounds of cabbage were weighed and shipped out of the Schoolhouse Station.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 9:17am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 547983 N 4170689|
|Decimal Degrees||37.68215000, -122.45581667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 40.929', W 122° 27.349'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 40' 55.74" N, 122° 27' 20.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||415, 650, 510|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1506 Hillside Blvd, Colma CA 94014, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.