Charles City County, VirginiaThis community was named for the structure which housed the post office and dance hall, built in 1886 by O.P. Binns at the terminus of an old road that led to the Chickahominy River farms Cedar Forest, Cyprus Banks, the home of the Stubblefield family, and Mattahunk, an early seat of the Duke family. The road also led to a gristmill and tobacco warehouses. Landmarks of Binns Hall have included Liberty Baptist Church (est. 1869), Gill's Store, Piney Grove Store, the Order of St. Luke's Hall and two one-room schools, Binns Hall and Clay Yard. Prominent area homes include Mosside, Piney Grove and two homes once owned by the Vaiden family, Poplar Springs and Meadow Springs. No longer standing are the original residences at Brown's Quarter, Cool Springs, Myrtle Hill and the plantation of Furneau Southall, deputy-sheriff of Charles City County during the late eighteenth century.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 4:06pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 323850 N 4137727|
|Decimal Degrees||37.36956667, -76.98930000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 22.174', W 76° 59.358'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 22' 10.44" N, 76° 59' 21.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 16200-16212 State Rte 615, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.