City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995
— Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937 —The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a rustic style, with a redwood pergola and semi-circular stone-walled terraces facing San Francisco Bay. Hundreds of tons of native rock were quarried by in the Berkeley hills to construct the terraces. The garden was sculpted into the hillsides west of the Euclid Avenue streetcar line that crossed the canyon of Codornices Creek on a trestle. More than 2,500 rose bushes were selected by the East Bay Counties Rose Society, led by Charles V. Cowell. The planting arrangement emphasized one color per terrace, starting with red at the top and descending through bronze, pink, and yellow to white at the bottom.
|Series||This marker is part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series|
|Placed By||City of Berkeley|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 13th, 2014 at 10:50pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 564819 N 4193330|
|Decimal Degrees||37.88516667, -122.26286667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 53.11', W 122° 15.772'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 53' 6.60" N, 122° 15' 46.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||831, 510|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1250-1284 Euclid Ave, Berkeley CA 94708, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.