The rare image reproduced at right, courtesy of William A. Frassanito, Gettysburg Then & Now (Thomas Publications), is one of only 9 photos known to have been taken of the dedication ceremonies in Gettysburg on Nov. 19, 1863, during which Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address.
Recorded by Peter Weaver from the back of the Wm. Duttera house (which stood here in 1863), this photograph depicts the crowds in the distant National Cemetery. Note the tall flagpole in the National Cemetery (center), with the distinctive gatehouse of adjoining Evergreen Cemetery appearing to the far left. Visible in the foreground is one of the "parking lots" for the ceremonies that day, as well as an excavated area most likely related to Duttera's brickmaking business.
The accompanying drawing portrays the Duttera house. Note the Confederate artillery shell which lodged in the second story of the building during the battle.
Photo copyright William A Frassanito. Drawing by Peggy Magaldi.