This memorial was donated by M.D. Harter, Treasurer and General Manager of the Aultman-Taylor Company. It was dedicated November 10, 1881. The inscription on the original plaque read:May 25, 1998
"To the memory of Richland County's honored dead who lost their lives fighting the battles of their country on land and at sea."
The soldier sculpture was re-cast and re-dedicated to all who lost their lives in military service to our country.
McLaughlin Camp 12
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
With thanks to:
The Richland County Foundation
The Fran and Warren Rupp Foundation
The Ohio Arts Council
Members of the Richland County Joint Veterans Council
The Citizens of Mansfield and Richland County
The memorial as it originally looked when it stood in Central Park. It was later moved to this location when Park Ave. was extended.
Richland Countians answered the call to arms during the Civil War
Mansfield became the site of two training camps:Camp Buckingham located near what is now the county fairgrounds and Camp Bartley on the site of the Reformatory.
Before the war had ended, 3000 men from this county served the North. Many died in this war. The first of these was N.O. Smith of Windsor.
Dedicated to our honored dead of:
The War of 1812
The Mexican War
The Great Rebellion
During the war of 1812, two such blockhouses were built here. Later, one of these became the county's first courthouse and jail. The blockhouse was a means of protection for the settlers in this area.
On October 18, 1812, 2000 troops under the command of General Robert Crook made camp on the east end of this park. Many of these soldiers returned later to settle in this area.