New Milford

New Milford (HMF1H)

Location: New Milford, CT 06776 Litchfield County
Buy Connecticut State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 41° 34.855', W 73° 24.733'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 374 views
Inscription
Front

This beautiful valley known to the Potatuck Indians as Weantinock, was purchased from them in 1703 by a company of individuals chiefly from Milford, Connecticut, hence the name New Milford. Its earliest white inhabitant, Zachariah Ferriss, arrived in 1706, followed in 1707 by the first permanent settlers, John Noble, his daughter Sarah, and John Bostwick. The area, originally a plantation, was incorporated with the first twelve families in 1712 as the forty-seventh Connecticut town. Daniel Boardman was called in that year to be the town's initial minister. Here on this site was erected the first meetinghouse in 1721. The earliest school opened in 1729. During the summer of 1725, William Gaylord moved farther up the Housatonic River and settled the area now known as Gaylordsville. The first bridge over this river from sea to source was erected west of this site in 1737.

Back

After the Lexington alarm in 1775, some 285 men enlisted in the Continental Army. Many of these men in Captain Isaac Bostwick's Company crossed the Delaware River with General Washington on the night of December 25, 1776 to fight the battle of Trenton.Roger Sherman, settled here in 1748, represented New Milford in the General Assembly in 1755 and from 1758 to 1761. He was the only man to sign the four great charters of American Liberty: the Articles of Association - 1774, the Declaration of Independence - 1776, the Articles of Confederation - 1777, and the Constitution of the United States - 1787.South of this marker lived Elijah Boardman, patriot, member of the General Assembly, United States Senator 1821 - 1823.With the opening of the southern portion of the Housatonic Railroad in 1840, New Milford became an industrial and trading center for the surrounding region.
Details
HM NumberHMF1H
Tags
Year Placed1976
Placed ByTown of New Milford, American Revolution Bicentennial Committee, Connecticut Historical Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 3:50am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. The member who adopted this marker listing is responsible for adding pictures.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 632357 N 4604464
Decimal Degrees41.58091667, -73.41221667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 41° 34.855', W 73° 24.733'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds41° 34' 51.30" N, 73° 24' 43.98" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)860, 203
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2-8 Aspetuck Ave, New Milford CT 06776, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?