Stockton was built on land granted by the Mexican government on January 13, 1842, to German-born Charles M. Weber and his business partner and Mexican citizen, William Gulnac. Weber later became sole owner of the land, permanently settling here two years before the Gold Rush of 1849.
Inspired by his European roots, Weber commissioned the first village plan laid out in a grid pattern of streets in 1848. Aligned with the levee road along the south shore of the Stockton Channel, now known as Weber Avenue, the grid followed a natural feature, not ordinal compass directions. This compass rose is directed toward true compass north, therefore, the street grid is 11.6 degrees west of north.