1 Mile North of Fort MitchellIn September 1821 Rev. William Capers was sent to Fort Mitchell, by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to negotiate with the chiefs of the Creek Indian Nations for a mission which would teach their children reading, writing and other white-man skills. In 1822 Asbury Manual Labor School was established with Rev. Isaac Smith, Superintendent; 33 resident students; 3 teachers; houses; school; and farm. The school closed in 1830 following the removal to the West of a portion of the Creek tribe. The Asbury Mission site was designated a United Methodist Landmark in 1984.
|Placed By||The Historic Chattahoochee Commission / The Alexandria UMC / The AWF Conference|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 10:00am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 686414 N 3580623|
|Decimal Degrees||32.34700000, -85.01910000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 20.82', W 85° 1.146'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 20' 49.20" N, 85° 1' 8.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3505 Landing Rd, Fort Mitchell AL 36856, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.