Members of the Catholic Church ofSt.Lawrence laid the cornerstone ofthe Catholic Church of St. Anne herein 1909 next to St. Joseph's Academy(1862-1929). St. Anne's is an early Gothicrevival structure, with a cruciformfloor plan. For the past several decadesthe parish has operated a school here and, since 1974, has been served by an order of priests known as theMissionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
Sumter County's first Catholic Churchwas built, 1838, on ProvidencePlantation, near present day Dalzell. Sometime later, the church was closed and then sold. The proceeds were "investedin the future church of Sumterville."The old Methodist Church, 1848,located within the present 300 blockof West Liberty Street, was purchased,remodeled, and dedicated to Saint Lawrence, martyr. The cemetery wasrelocated on West Oakland Avenueretaining the same name.