These circular twin mounds were excavated in the late 1800s and contained no human remains. Two shallow ditches extend from these earth mounds. One ditch connects to Randall Run on the north side of Fort Ancient, while the other connects with Cowen Run on the east and south sides of the site. Thus, the entire site is surrounded by either a river, stream and natural gully, or a ditch.
Parallel walls extended northeast from the twin mounds. These walls were approximately 2,700 feet in length and ended in an irregularly shaped circle around a small earth mound. The walls, three to four feet in height, 12 feet in width, and 140 feet apart, were distinct in the early 1800s. Only remnants could be seen in the 1920s along the fencerow at the woods. Today, after nearly two centuries of farming, they are no longer visible. The small earth mound inside the walls was excavated in 1893 but yielded no artifacts.
Who built these walls and mounds? What purpose did they serve? Visit the museum to find out.