Spann Methodist ChurchThis church was founded ca. 1805 at the plantation of John Spann, Jr., about 1 mi. N. Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1807 and 1811. The first church on this site was built and the cemetery was established ca. 1840. The present Greek Revival sanctuary, built in 1873, is almost unchanged. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Captain Clinton WardClinton Ward (1828-1905), a member of this church, was a prominent landowner and a state representative 1880-83. The Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta RR ran its tracks through Ward's property about 1870. He laid out and planned the town first named Ward's Depot, then Clintonward, then Wards, and finally Ward. Clinton Ward, his wife Martha, and their daughter Josephine are buried here.