[Side A:]Mormon PioneersMormon pioneers traveled far in search of a land where they could worship God in an environment of religious tolerance. Named below are some of the pioneers who settled in Washington Township. They sailed here aboard the ship Brooklyn (1846), trekked west with the Mormon Battalion (1847), or came shortly thereafter by land or by sea. Many of these settlers became prominent citizens. Local streets, schools, and landmarks bear some of their names.
Charles Allen · Jonathan and Caroline Barnes Crosby · Zacheus and Mary Ann Fisher Cheney · Amanda Evans Cheney · Isaac Goodwin · Harvey (Hervey) Green · William and Elizabeth Ann Homer Hopkins · Stacy and Sarah Johnson Horner · John and Elizabeth Imlay Horner · Earl and Letitia Dorsey Marshall · Origin and Delina Cheney Mowry · John C. and Louisa Kepple Naile (Naegle) · Isaac and Hester Poole Nash · Joseph and Jerusha Bull Nichols · John J. and Helen Allen Riser · Horace A. and Laura Ann Farnsworth Skinner · Daniel and Ann Cook Stark · Simeon Stivers · Thomas and Jane E. Rollins Tomkins
Mormon Pioneer AdobesThe first local members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) arrived on the ship Brooklyn on July 31, 1846 at Yerba Buena (San Francisco). Several families traveled to Washington Township, the present area of Fremont, Newark and Union City, and established their homes.
The Mormon Battalion arrived in Southern California, January 29, 1847. Some men from that group traveled north and settled here. One of them, John Conrad Naile (Naegle), arrived in 1848 and built a large adobe home about 1/5 mile east of this marker. School, dances, and other social gatherings were held there.
On April 23, 1850, Apostles Charles C. Rich and Amasa Lyman organized the first branch of the L.D.S. Church for this area in the adobe home of Earl and Letita Marshall, located approximately 3/5 mile southwest of this marker. Church services were held on the second floor of the Naile adobe until 1850. At this time, John M. Horner built a schoolhouse in Centerville, which served as the first structure built especially for L.D.S. services in this area. The local congregation grew during the Gold Rush until 1857-58, when Brigham Young gathered members to Utah.