(Buckingham County Side):
Located in the geographical center of Virginia, Buckingham County, the only county in the United States to bear that name, was formed in 1761 from Albemarle County. It is not known for which of the many Buckinghams in English history the county was named. With its Greek Doric courthouse, Confederate monument, and clerk's office, Buckingham County's court square exemplifies the classic 19th-century rural courthouse village.
(Fluvanna County Side):
Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.