The Old Market Historic Walking TourThis building has carried the Baum Iron name since the company purchased and occupied the property in 1905. Baum Iron Company was established in 1857 and was originally across the street. At one time this firm was the largest wholesaler of iron products in the Midwest, dealing in iron, steel, and heavy hardware, and doing business in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, and Wyoming. The cast iron storefront for the structure in the Italianate style was made in St. Louis and assembled on site in Omaha in 1880. The original owner was Steele, Johnson and Co., wholesale grocers. Originally two stories, the third and fourth floors were added in 1891, after which the wholesale hardward and cutlery firm of Lee-Clarke-Andreesen used the building. Sloan Allen and son David Allen, owners of Baum Iron, were a familiar sight in downtown Omaha from the 1940's through the 1980's as they walked to work from their home at 37th and Dewey Streets. In 2000 the company became Baum Hydraulics Corporation, selling nationwide.
|Placed By||The Old Market|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 22nd, 2014 at 12:11am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 254271 N 4571368|
|Decimal Degrees||41.25638333, -95.93303333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 15.383', W 95° 55.982'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 15' 22.98" N, 95° 55' 58.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 401-457 S 13th St, Omaha NE 68102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.