The Old Market Historic Walking TourThe Windsor Hotel, designed in the Italianate style, was constructed in two phases - the east wing was completed in 1885, and an addition to the west was finished by 1887. It was designed to be a workingman's hotel, and with the proximity to both the Union and Burlington train stations, it became known as a railroader's hotel. Railroad passengers stopped at its restaurant and bar during layovers. The Windsor overlooked the stalls of the noisy open-air public market to its west from 1903 until the market folded in 1964. Renamed the Windsor Inn, it was the last hotel in operation in the Old Market when it closed on June 30, 1979. In 1985, Emil Vohoska and Pete Drake completed their renovation of the building as the Windsor Square Apartments. Vohoska memorialized his grandson, Sam Zmolek, by adding the "Lion Fountain" to the south side of the building. Four-year-old Sam had died of leukemia in 1994. In that year, the Windsor became next-door neighbor to the revived "Farmers Market" during summer weekends.
|Placed By||The Old Market|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 10:39am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 254552 N 4571154|
|Decimal Degrees||41.25455000, -95.92960000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 15.273', W 95° 55.776'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 15' 16.38" N, 95° 55' 46.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 514 S 10th St, Omaha NE 68102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.