The Old Market Historic Walking TourOmaha was a rich brew of immigrants, and many brought with them a well-developed taste for hops, giving rise to a half-dozen local breweries in the late 19th century. In 1887, Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis built a distribution complex in Omaha, designed by Henry Voss in the Romanesque style. The existing office building is all that remains of four buildings, which also included a stable, the bottling department, and a combination beer vault and icehouse. The complex had a refrigeration capacity equivalent to 10 railcars of beer. The company employed 16 men and six teams of horses for deliveries. Prohibition capped the beer business in 1916, but later the complex housed the Industrial Chemical Supply Co. and a furniture-stripping firm. In the 1960s and 1970s, the office building was a private residence for several different individuals. In 1989, Alley Poyner Architecture renovated the interior as office space for its own business. In 1988, a finial over the west doorway was toppled by wind and then stolen. It has never been recovered.
|Placed By||The Old Market|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 29th, 2014 at 3:49am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 254297 N 4571018|
|Decimal Degrees||41.25325000, -95.93258333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 15.195', W 95° 55.955'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 15' 11.70" N, 95° 55' 57.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1213 Jones St, Omaha NE 68102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.