North BranfordThis region was opened for settlement in the 1690's as the Third Division of the Town of Branford, originally called by the Indian name Totoket. The North or Second Ecclesiastical Society (1725) and the Third Society (1745), later named Northford, were incorporated in 1831 as the Town of North Branford. Early ministers Jonathan Merick, Samuel Eells and Warham Williams, graduates of Yale College, provided leadership and encouraged education. Colonel William Douglas served under General Washington during the Revolution and, dying in May, 1777, was buried at Northford. North Branford was noted for its thriving farms and mills, producing wheat and silk in the 18th century. In the 19th century, common pins, horseshoe nails, desiccated cocoanut, greeting cards, and tinware were manufactured. Trap rock has been quarried here since 1914. In 1933 Lake Gaillard reservoir was constructed. North Branford was designated in 1971 an All American City for its citizens' public spirit.
Erected by the Town of North Branford
the Totoket Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission