Home of Freeman Walker, outstanding citizen of early Georgia. Born in Virginia in 1780, he came to Richmond County in his youth and studied law. Freeman Walker, in 1826, deeded 70 acres of land to the United States Government to be used as an arsenal-the site now of the Junior College of Augusta. He reserved one acre as a family burial ground, known as the Walker Cemetery. He was the father of Maj. Gen. W. H. T. Walker, CSA. Admitted to the bar in 1802, he followed a life of public service; City Attorney for three years and Mayor of Augusta 1817-19, being the first to hold the city chief executive office under the name of Mayor, and Brigade Inspector of Gen. Valentine Walker brigade in 1813. He represented Richmond County in both branches of the State Legislature and represented Georgia in the U. S. Senate. His speech on the Missouri Compromise attracted nation-wide attention.He died in 1827 and is buried in the Walker Cemetery.