Fink Through Truss BridgeThe Zoarville Station Bridge is a rare survivor of the earliest period of iron bridge construction in the United States, an era when unprecedented railroad expansion gave American bridge builders an international reputation for innovation. German immigrant Albert Fink first developed this truss design for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the early 1850s. Charles Shaler Smith, a prominent civil engineer and Fink's former assistant, designed the bridge with patented features that improved on Fink's original design. His firm, Smith, Latrobe & Company of Baltimore, Maryland, built this example in 1868 as a highway bridge over the Tuscarawas River in Dover. it was moved to this site in 1905 and abandoned in 1940. The Lebold family donated the bridge to the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in 1997 for preservation and resoration. Of the hundreds of Fink Truss bridges built in the 1800s, the Zoarville Station Bridge is the last of its kind known to exist.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation, and the Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 at 6:15pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 466747 N 4492144|
|Decimal Degrees||40.57941667, -81.39290000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 34.765', W 81° 23.574'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 34' 45.90" N, 81° 23' 34.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 6867-6999 Old Zoarville Rd NE, Mineral City OH 44656, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.