This archaeological site has been identified as a men's house associated with a person of chiefly rank who resided at the Lonoikamakahiki Residence. Hydration-Rind dating performed by the Bishop Museum indicated that the major portion of this site was constructed in pre-historic times over a period of 1550 to 1630 AD.
Evidence that supports the identification as a men's house is the architectural construction of this site, which is similar to other known men's houses elsewhere in the Hawaiian Islands. The presence of pig bone at the site is significant as pig was a food prohibited to women. Of the large quantity of artifacts found at this site, none were associated with women. Male ornaments found at this site are suggestive of rank or status.
Occupants who lived at this site were retainers of the chief who occupied the Lonoikamakahiki Residence site. Among the retainers who lived at this site was the chief's steward who prepared all of the chief's meals, manufacturing of fishing gear and other items.
Artifacts recovered from this site included cowry lures for octopus fishing, trolling lures, fishing weights, unfinished bone fish hooks, nerita shell beads for necklaces or bracelets, dog-tooth ornaments for use as a pendant or part of an anklet, adzes, abraders, miscellaneous bird, fish and animal bones, charcoal, sea urchin parts, sea shells, candle nuts (kukui) for lighting, etc.
These men's houses were called a mua. The mua was strictly forbidden to women. As soon as a male child was weaned and began to partake of other food, he was taken to the mua and was no longer allowed to take food in the company of women. These muas served as places of both secular and ritual activities pertaining only to the male sex.
This structure, as well as the Lonoikamakahiki Residence, was constructed with a high thatched roof. All that remains is the stone foundation. This site may have had a thatched enclosure over each of the different features except for the goat pen and the fireplace where the alii's food was cooked.
Archaeological Survey, Kahaluu, North Kona, Hawaii; Department of Anthropology, Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Report 71-4.
Archaeological Excavations at Kahaluu, North Kona, Island of Hawaii; Department of Anthropology, Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Report 73-1.
Henry P. Kekahuna. Map of Kahaluu Beach; site and place names, legends and history. March 15, 1952.
Researched and Written by Joseph N. Castelli, 1988.