Land that was to become the Story Neighborhood (bounded by McDowell Road, Roosevelt Street, 7th Avenue, and Grand Avenue) was purchased in 1887 and 1906 by Francis Q. Story, a horticulturist known as the "father of the Sunkist Orange." Serious development began in 1923, after the construction of Kenilworth School and Cave Creek Dam. The architectural character of the district is dominated by bungalows, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Tudor Revival houses. Other styles include English Cottage, Norman Cottage, Mediterranean, Pueblo Mission, Neoclassical, Colonial and Art Moderne.