First Constructed in 1885The Bright Angel Lodge, as it is known today, began as a cabin and several tents on this site in 1896. The central unit designed by Mary Jane Colter, was built in 1935. This lodge contains some of the oldest buildings in the Grand Canyon Village, which are now used as cabins. Two unusual fireplaces were constructed with the rock native to the Grand Canyon. The lodge's name is derived from Bright Angel Creek which was named by John Wesley Powell, the first explorer through the Inner Gorge of the Grand Canyon.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 7:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12S E 397256 N 3990893|
|Decimal Degrees||36.05718333, -112.14078333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 3.431', W 112° 8.447'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 3' 25.86" N, 112° 8' 26.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 200-298 Rim Trail, Grand Canyon Village AZ 86023, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.