Jackson River Station
Around 1857, the Virginia Central Railroad completed the Jackson River Depot and was the terminus of the railroad for trains and travelers heading west. Travelers had to continue their travels by horseback or stagecoach. They often stayed in the Jackson River Hotel that was located just across the road from the church. The station was also called "Flat Boat Warf" because batteaux boats would bring items needing to go east to the station for shipment on the railroad. The depot was located approximately 200 feet to the east of the church. During the Civil War, the Jackson River Station was an important point in transporting troops from Richmond to the west.
Changes to the River and Road
The Jackson River and the Lexington - Covington Turnpike curved it's way along the north side or front of the church. In 1922, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad made major improvements to the railyards. In order to enlarge the yard, they diverted the Jackson River to a channel further north and relocated the main rail line from the south side of the church to the north side. The main road was relocated to the south side of the church on the old railbed.
In 2000, a grant from the Virginia Department of Transportation was acquired by AlleghanyCounty for the preservation of the Oakland Presbyterian Church and cemetery, the Low MoorPresbyterian Church, Kim-Stan advisory board, CSX Transportation, and many area businesses and individuals contributed to the preservation of the church and cemetery. Preservation of the church was completed in 2007.