Dedicated to All Veterans
Originally dedicated 1934
Symbolism of the Mural
Just as our own Nebraska natives left their homes to fight wars on foreign soil, the use of Endicott brick represents native earth that brings all of us back to our roots. Our dedication to service, our view of the world, our appreciation for life is rooted in home soil.
The tones of the brick may appear modest and lacking the glitter of bronze or gold, but it is symbolic of our veterans who selflessly did what needed to be done without regard for honors and fanfare of their courage and sacrifice.
The flag, unfurling and reaching out to all as a symbol of unwavering pride and care, overlooks our community of citizens throughout the land. Our veterans represented their own families and neighbors but unselfishly served all America's citizens.
The scene overlooking a small town represents the numbers of few becoming the power of many in a common bond of mission. Our veterans and those citizens and family members left behind all contributed to preserve democracy.
Written by Lynn Danielson
Veterans Memorial Drive
In 1934, a mile long drive along the Blue River was dedicated to honor war veterans. Funded in part as a federal relief project, sixty men a week worked for seven months to complete the drive. It officially became a Beatrice City Park on June 26 of that year. This parkway helped connect Chautauqua, Nichols, and Riverside Parks.
The Y.E.S. (Youth for Environmental Success) Club of the Beatrice Middle School adopted the Memorial Drive in 1997 to keep clean and beautify. The 100-year flood of 1992 and the 1996 tornado had damaged and destroyed much of the landscape along the drive. Raising money by applying for grants, conducting clean-ups, and collecting aluminum cans the club members purchased this brick memorial to beautify the entrance of Memorial Drive.
In the war on depression it seems most fitting to dedicate such a project to the veterans of all wars.....
Project Chairman, 1934