Abram Maury (1766-1825) came to this area from Virginia in 1797 to settle on 640 acres he purchased from Major Anthony Sharpe. In 1798, he reserved a square-shaped area of 109 acres for a town he intended to name Marthasville for his wife. Instead, the town was named Franklin in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Maury, who was a prosperous planter, surveyor and state senator, donated lands for a public square, streets, and a Methodist Church. His log home, Treelawn, stood a short distance north. The nearby family cemetery, where he and Martha are buried, remains inside Founders Pointe.