The two-acre city cemetery was deeded by Joel Parrish in 1811 to the town commissioners for $100. Among the early settlers buried here are Ewan Cameron who built Franklin's first house, and Thomas Stuart, who served as judge of the Fourth Circuit District from its creation in 1809 until 1836. Also in this cemetery are the graves of Col. and Mrs. Guilford Dudley, Sr. Colonel Dudley, born in Caroline County, Virginia, in 1756, is one of four Revolutionary War Soldiers buried here. The others are David Squier, Miles Priest, and Moses Priest. The stone gates were erected by the Old Glory Chapter D.A.R. in 1916 "in honor of the pioneer men and women buried here."