The Pony Express route spanned some 1,823 miles, with stations located twelve to fifteen miles apart. In Nebraska the route mostly followed the Oregon Trail of the 1840s along the Little Blue, Platte, South Platte, and North Platte Rivers. Three Pony Express stations were established near present-day Ogallala: Alkali Lake, Gill's (also called Sand Hill), and Diamond Springs.
Sand Hill Station, also called Gill's Station, was of sod construction and was across the river from Ogallala. In 1865, Frank Young found it occupied by soldiers and it looked "as comfortless as a Siberian picture in a story-book."
|Series||This marker is part of the Pony Express National Historic Trail series|
|Placed By||Ogallala/Keith County Chamber of Commerce|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 2:35am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14T E 271698 N 4556287|
|Decimal Degrees||41.12580000, -101.71963333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 7.548', W 101° 43.178'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 7' 32.88" N, 101° 43' 10.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 208 N Spruce St, Ogallala NE 69153, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.