Two of Jackson's historic hotels once stood at this site. The Eagle Hotel, originally a tavern, was built in 1823. Andrew Jackson was a guest here in 1840.Alexander McClung, editor and Mexican War hero, committed suicide at the hotel in 1855. The Eagle was torn down in 1856 and replaced in 1857 by the Bowman House, a five story brick structure. The scene of frequent political and social events, the hotel also served briefly as Union headquarters on May 14, 1863. The Bowman House burned on June 9, 1863.