Erected about 1995 by Pedro Commg?re after an earlier house on this site was destroyed in the great fire of December 8, 1794.
In 1806 it was occupied in part by John Watkins, mayor of New Orleans and by Mr. Forstall's store.Sold by Pedro Commag?re in 1806 to Mme. Gracieuse Fontenella, wife of Jean Baptiste Mercier, and by her heirs in 1828 to Louis Gally whose family owned it until 1866.
The site was granted by the Company of the Indies to Francois Gallard, called Chamilly, in 1722.Nicolas Vebent, its second owner, sold it in 1782 to Jean Baptiste Orso from whom Commag?re bought it in 1795.
This fine example of New Orleans Spanish Colonial architecture occupied by the Gumbo Shop since 1945.