In 1856 Senor Jose Maria Rochin purchased for $30 the first parcel of land sold within the presidio boundaries.
"1st day of October 1856, between the mayor and common council of the city of Santa Barbara of the first part and Jose Maria Rochin of the second part, for consideration of $30, Santa Barbara property. Signed Francisco Ruiz, presidente del concejo, and Antonio Maria de La Guerra, mayor."
On the 250' by 120' lot a three-room house was constructed of adobe bricks salvaged from the ruins of structures built against the southeast presidio wall.
Originally build at an angle following the presidio walls, a portion of the porch was lost when the street was graded to the 1851 Haley survey specifications. Note that the porch roof overhang is still at the original angle. The rear section of the adobe and protective siding were added in 1901 by F.L Birabent, the son-in-law of Jose and Lorenza. The Rochin Adobe as remained in the family for 135 years. May it continue thus.