(Sir William Johnson)Sent to the Province of New York in 1737, by his uncle Sir Peter Warren for the purpose of supervising landed property in the Mohawk Valley, William Johnson engaged in trade with settlers and Indians.
Prospering in mercantile enterprises, he began the purchase of lands which eventually comprised 210,000 acres in Colonial New York, at the time of his death in 1774.
Commissioned an officer of the Provincial Militia during George's War, he supplied Frontier outposts from Schenectady to Oswego, through constant dealing with the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy, he gained an incredible knowledge of Indian Affairs and administration.. His first home lay south of the Mohawk in the Patent of Warrensbush. Prospering financially he built his second home on the Mohawk, a substantial stone dwelling he called Fort Johnson.
On 10 July 1751 he was sworn in as a member of the Governor's Council of the Province of New York, and two years later attended and took part in, the famous "Albany Congress" of 1754
|Placed By||City of Johnstown, Fulton County, New York|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 11th, 2014 at 3:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 551077 N 4761738|
|Decimal Degrees||43.00660000, -74.37328333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 0.396', W 74° 22.397'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 0' 23.76" N, 74° 22' 23.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1 N Market St, Johnstown NY 12095, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.