Page 5 of 20 — Showing results 41 to 50 of 198
150th Anniversary commemorated Sept. 1975
Dedicated by the County of Monroe and the City of Rochester in honor of Ted Curtis Visionary advocate for the City of Rochester, the Genesee River and the Erie Canal14 July 2011On the 20th anniversary of the Corn Hill Waterfront & Navigation Foundation whic…
The Port of South Greece with the "8 Mile Grocery" and post office, School No. 12, apple dryhouse, 25 houses, and 2 doctors' offices was a busy Erie Canal stop in the 1800s.
The Seventeenth CenturyThe Schenectady Stockade is one of the oldest communities in America. Founded by the Dutch on land purchased from the Mohawk Indians in 1661, it came under English rule three years later. From the earliest days a timber stockade wall …
Double chamber lock forraising-lowering boats.Built 1842 during enlarge-ment of Erie Canal. Farchamber lengthened 1885.
Gift of the Citizens of Montgomery County
Originally built by Squire Whipple across the Enlarged Erie Canal at Sprakers in 1869
This type of bridge was adopted by the Canal Commissioners in the 1850s as the standard iron bridge to cross the Canal
This bridge was designed and built by Squire Whipple (1804-1887), a Union college graduate, class of 1830. Originally erected over the Erie Canal at Fultonville in Montgomery County, the bridge was moved after the canal closed in 1917 to the Cayadutta Creek…
At this point in 1828, water from Seneca Lake was first released into the newly constructed Cayuga-Seneca Canal, forming a navigable link to the Erie Canal. The waterway enabled commerce to flow between Seneca and the Hudson River and soon became an economi…
Cut off from the rest of Pymatuning Swamp by a 3-mile bank, this became the 600-acre "Pymatuning Reservoir" of the canal, which lay at its western edge. Begun by the State, 1838; finished by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44.
Part of the old channel lies near the highway. The Conneaut Line, from Erie to near Conneaut Lake, was begun by the State, 1838, and completed by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44. Canal in use until 1871.