Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17
Part of "Land of Promise" tract. Original mill (1760), present grist mill (1794), first Susquehanna River Bridge (1818) and Barge Canal (1839) made through this hamlet a thriving commercial center. Surviving are Miller's House, the Mill, Toll House and Owne…
The Lock House is located at the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which operated from 1840-1897. The canal was pivotal in the development of the Lower Susquehanna River Valley. It connected with the Pennsylvania Canal at Columbia an…
Instead of following the slope of the land, as rivers and streams do, a canal periodically takes a vertical step between long stretches of flat water. Locks were constructed at each vertical step to accomplish moving barges up and down between each of the l…
The 45-mile long Susquehanna (PA) and Tidewater (MD) Canal ran from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania to Havre de Grace, Maryland. The canal was built between 1835 and 1839 in order to improve commerce on the Susquehanna River. The new canal would connect the exte…
The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road.
Gateway to the West - Wrightsville was settled in the 1720s by Quakers, including the John Wright family. Wright established a ferry and Wrightsville became a major point of crossing the Susquehanna River by pioneers traveling west. In 1811 Jacob Kline laid…
Chartered by Pennsylvania, 1835; run by the canal company, 1840 - 1872, and the Reading Railroad till 1894. Followed the river for 45 miles below Columbia.
Before the hydroelectric companies built dams on the river in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the lower reaches of the Susquehanna were shallow, rocky, and virtually unnavigable.In the 1830s, Baltimore merchants campaigned for funding to …
Chartered by Pennsylvania, 1835; run by the canal company, 1840-1872, and the Reading Railroad till 1894. Followed the river for 45 miles below Columbia.
Now housing the Tucquan Club, the nearby stone building was originally a warehouse for deposit and shipping on the canal. Masonry fragments and a portion of the canal-bed may be seen nearby.