Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist AssociationThis church was organized in 1857. The first sanctuary, made of logs, was situated near the still-present old well. A number of Coffee County's prominent citizens were early members of the church and are buried within the cemetery, including William Dent, Daniel Gaskins, Sr., Franklin Ward and Thomas H. Dent. In 1875, the church became the founding location of the Smyrna Baptist Association, currently comprised of thirty-nine churches. The existing sanctuary was constructed c. 1905. The Sunday School rooms were moved on site and attached to the sanctuary in 1954.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Society and Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 6:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 334564 N 3489557|
|Decimal Degrees||31.52910000, -82.74250000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 31.746', W 82° 44.55'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 31' 44.76" N, 82° 44' 33.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2033 Sand Hill Church Rd, Douglas GA 31533, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.