Coffee county was created by an act of the Georgia legislature Feb. 9, 1854, and made up of portions of Clinch, Ware, Irwin and Telfair counties. Named for Gen. John Coffee, of Telfair county, noted as an Indian fighter, planter and Congressman. First county officers were B.H. Tanner, Sheriff; Whittington S. Moore, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Thomas Mobley, Ordinary; John W. Matchet, Tax Receiver; James R. Smith, Tax Collector; Sim Parker, Coroner, and Mr. Carver, Surveyor. First Inferior Court Justices were Mark Lott Jr., Joel Lott, Alexander Mobley, Hardy Hall and Elijah Pickren.