Station and TerminusGold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville - Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 - June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony rider, William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses, added one express letter to his mochila, and sped away for Sportsman's Hall. On July 1, 1861, Placerville became the Western Terminus of the Pony Express, until its discontinuance on October 26, 1861.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail series.|
|Placed By||The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce, James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus and Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 3:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 690954 N 4288870|
|Decimal Degrees||38.72788333, -120.80328333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 43.673', W 120° 48.197'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 43' 40.38" N, 120° 48' 11.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||530, 916|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 248 Main St, Placerville CA 95667, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.