Charles City County, VirginiaThe Weanoc Indians gave this area its name. The Minge family settled much of the Weyanoke peninsula during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Landmarks have included Weyanoke Parish Church, Tyler's Mill, a steamboat landing, a post office at Yeardley's and St. Thomas Chapel (1845-1922) of Westover Parish, later known as Mapsico Church, the second sanctuary being built in 1856. Prominent area homes include Kittiewan, North Bend, Upper Weyanoke and Weyanoke. The Parrish Hill community, also known as Jamestown, developed along the creek named for the Parrish Hill Church (est. 1873) and Parrish Hill School (est.1874), whose 1917 building was constructed with the assistance of the Rosenwald Fund. Area homes have included Edge Hill and Burlington, built by the Major family and later the home of John Munford Gregory, Governor of Virginia (1842-43). The area also includes the archaeological landmark site of the home of Aaron Hilton, a freedman renowned for his knowledge of the care of sheep.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 2:14am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 318269 N 4134098|
|Decimal Degrees||37.33580000, -77.05140000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 20.148', W 77° 3.084'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 20' 8.88" N, 77° 3' 5.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 79 State Rte 619, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.