In the early 1920's, Jack Mathes moved to Toccoa Falls and accepted the position as business manager of the institution. He met and married Susie Ralls, one of the young women who lived with the Forrests. In 1924, Susie and Jack built a home on the old Hancock Inn site. College officials believe this home is one of the original Sears and Roebuck catalog homes. When the Matheses moved to Florida in 1932 to assist Bill Watson at Trinity Bible Institute, their home was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. William Martin and became known as the Martin house.
In the early 1940's, fire threatened to destroy this structure but quick thinking by Kelly Barnes, who organized and supervised a "bucket brigade" from nearby Toccoa Creek, extinguished the flames saving the structure. When Kelly Barnes saw one of the institute's boys standing by watching the fire, he yelled for the lad to get a bucket and help. When the boy replied he did not have a bucket, Kelly uttered the memorable words, "Well, make a bucket." The Mathes house later became the residence of the second college president, Dr. Julius Brandy and his wife Eunice, who taught music at the college. By the mid 1990's this building was converted into offices for Alumni Relations and Advancement.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration, 1907-2007. Donated by the former presidents of the Toccoa Falls Alumni Association.