Even in the early years, before the Forrests moved to Toccoa Falls, there was a cottage sitting at the entrance to the falls. And an outdoor bowling alley — Toccoa's first — was located near the cottage. Visitors could drive to the base of the falls along a narrow pathway. By 1920, a larger company had been built at the entrance to the falls to serve as a staff residence. Later, this building contained a craft shop, which was in operation until January 1939, when it was destroyed by fire. Students helped to build the rock section of the Gate Cottage structure between the summer of 1939 and 1940 as the home economics unit of a federal National Youth Administration (N.Y.A.) Project. The stones used in the construction are from the Toccoa Falls area.
In recent years, Gate Cottage underwent a renovation — adding extra dining space, a new kitchen, and a large gift shop that serves as an entrance to the trail leading to Toccoa Falls. Gate cottage was one of the only buildings on the lower campus that remained standing after the flood in 1977.
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated in honor of Andrew (1971) and Eloise (Beeler, HS, 1966, BC 1972) Grimer by family and friends.