Fisher's Oasis Coffee House and Wadsworth's Chicago Dining Saloon occupied this site from 1851- 1855. In 1853 F.A. Bee, founder of the Placerville Herald, printed his short-lived newspaper here. Early pioneer doctors, Harvey and Sholer and businessman, Davis and Roy purchased the property in 1855 and built a wooden two-story edifice composed of two portions. The building's western half served as a post office while Davis and Roy ran their periodical depot to the east. Davis and Roy remain best know (sic) for their 1856 lithograph titled "Birdseye View of Placerville" which illustrated over 20 buildings as they appeared before that year's devastating fires.
Later co-occupants Jacob Perkins and Shelley Inch carried on the business of selling newspapers, books a(nd) stationary. Eventually Inch acquired both portions of the property. Around 1898 he added the building's second floor and the cast iron front to its facade. Inch then named the business The Placerville News Company.
In 1912 after her husband, homesteading pioneer George Duffey Sr., died suddenly of appendicitis Christina Reeg Duffey began working in Inch's store as a means of supporting herself and her soon to arrive child. She subsequently married John Bayne of Coloma. She assumed ownership of the building in 1923 and the family moved into the apartment upstairs. Her son George Duffey carried on the business and became one of Placerville's most beloved merchants. He always welcomed visitors warmly and delighted them with his quiet charm. Today, his daughter, Mary Meader and his grandson Jeff, continue the family tradition of providing friendly and courteous service to their customers.