Ingalls Iron Works was established in 1910, by Robert Ingalls,in Titusville Alabama. It became the largest steel company in the region. Looking for new opportunities for the steel company fabricated, Ingalls opened Ingalls Shipyard in 1937 to build dredges, tugboats, and barges for coastal and river service. Ingalls Shipyard produced a variety of watercraft for government, including "Liberty" boats, vital for transatlantic supply routes. As World War II approached, the yard's small size forced Ingalls to look for a larger site and relocated to Pascagoula MS. Ingalls' shipbuilding interest were sold to Litton Industries in 1961, which sold Decatur yard to Trinity Industries in 1981, which promptly closed it. A self-imposed occupancy tax implemented in 2001 by the Decatur-Morgan County Hospitality Association provided necessary funds for the development of a harbor and the city of Decatur purchased the property in 2003. In 2006, Ingals Harbor emerged as a world-class entertainment venue and is home for many local festivals and professional fishing tournaments.