"They fed horses all my corn and pasture that had not been previously ruined by the soldiers during the skirmishing and progress of the battle."Joshua Newcomer
This farmhouse, owned by Joshua Newcomer during the mid-1800s, witnessed the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862. It was originally built in 1780 and was part of a complex of buildings that included the barn across the street, a grist mill, plaster mill and shops.
Today, only the house and barn remain of what was once a bustling farmstead. During the battle, Union soldiers crossed the original stone bridge that spanned Antietam Creek and advanced across this farm towards Sharpsburg.
Maryland Campaign of 1862
After winning the Second Battle of Manassas, Confederate General Robert E. Lee led his Army of Northern Virginia into Maryland in early September, 1862. Union General George B. McClellan and his Army of the Potomac marched northwest from Washington, D.C. toward Frederick.
Outside Frederick, Lee boldly split his smaller force, sending part to capture a Union garrison at Harpers Ferry. Lee then used his remaining troops to delay McClellan's larger Union army at the Battle of South Mountain on September 14, 1862.
Although the Confederates were forced to withdraw from the three nearby passes of South Mountain, they provided Lee the time necessary to pull his Confederate army back together here along Antietam Creek. On September 17, 1862, the two armies clashed along Antietam Creek and on farms around Sharpsburg in the bloodiest one-day battle in American history. By days end, more than 23,000 men were killed, wounded, or missing.
· To learn more about the Battle of South Mountain, drive to Washington Monument State Park outside Boonsboro: Turn left onto Route 34, drive 5 miles to Boonsboro, turn right onto Route 40A, drive 3 miles to the top of South Mountain (part of South Mountain State Battlefield), then turn left and go one mile to the museum at Washington Monument State Park.
· To learn more about the Battle of Antietam, go to the National Battlefield's visitor center: Turn right onto Route 34; drive one mile, then turn right on Church Street (Route 65). The visitor center is one mile north on Route 65 on the right.
· To learn more about the battle's aftermath, visit the Pry House Field Hospital Museum / McClellan's Headquarters: Turn left onto Route 34; drive one mile, turn left at the Pry House sign, then drive ? mile down the gravel road.