The Port of Oakland was formed on November 10, 1925 when citizen passed bonds for the development of port facilities. On February 12, 1927, the first permanent Board of Port Commissioners was sworn in by Mayor John L. Davie, The Port's headquarters were moved in 1931 from a downtown office building to the Grove Street Pier at the foot of what is now Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The Port office relocated to 66 Jack London Square in 1961 and to this current headquarters in 1990.Donated by
A self-supporting arm of the city government, the Port of Oakland has jurisdiction over the city's 19-mile waterfront and generates revenues through its maritime, aviation, and commercial real estate activities. An intermodal pioneer, Oakland remains one of the top container ports in the United States. Oakland International Airport, the take-off point for the first transpacific flights, has been in operation since its 1927 dedication by Charles Lindbergh. The Port's real estate developments include the Oakland Airport Business Park, Embarcadero Cove, and Jack London Square, with numerous parks and pathways providing public access to Oakland's waterfront.
Port of Oakland Employees
in remembrance of