Built about 1840 by James Hayes, a man of vast real estate holdings. He was killed in a battle in North Georgia in 1863. The house stayed in the estate until 1885. It was owned by Ada and William Garrett, R.W. Coulette, S.V. Wall, and Hay Long Wall between 1885 and 1913, when it was bought by William H. Long who added brick, as the house was built entirely of the native Long Leaf Pine.
Long's ancestor, Richard H. Long came into this area around 1820 and was one of the major planters. He was active in Indian and community affairs and was one of the signers of the Florida Constitution.
In 1984 William's great, great grand daughter, Billy May Wall Williams, sold it. It was restored by its present owners' Dan and Rosalind Dimichele.