American Indians frequented this area, rich in natural resources. The ravine provided water from natural springs, marl for lime, and clay for bricks for nineteenth-century residents of Attica, platted 1825. City became owner of ravine 1906 when local business aand professional men organized to donate fifty-five acres for a public park.
City purchased thirty-five additional acres 1911, adding to eastern end. Park has served as center for social and recreational activities. Attica Chautauqua entertained many here 1907-1928. Donations, grants, and volunteers over the years have added swimming pool, nature trail, bridges, and other structures improving park as community asset.