site of the
This map of Fort Ross dated 1817 shows "Little Rumiantsev Cove" as well as the galiot Rumiantsev., the first ship built on the California coast. Also in the cove area were a number of buildings including a forge and blacksmith shop, tannery, cooperage, and public bath. There were sheds for Russian launches and the Native Alaskan "baidarkas" and "baidaras," and a boat shop and shipways for building ships.
The three other Russian-American Company ships built at Fort Ross were brigs, Ruldakov, Volga, and Kiakhta. The shipyard was abandoned by 1825, but the Company continued to build smaller boats. An artists reconstruction shows the cove in 1820 when the Buldakov was launched.