Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company
The Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company, a division of M. Lowenstein & Sons, of New York, went into operation at this site during the last quarter of 1929. The first general manager was Archie O. Joslin. Known familiarly as "The Bleachery," this industrial plant provided indispensable employment to the citizens of Rock Hill during the Great Depression.
Rock Hill Buggy Company and Anderson Motor Company
The first building occupied by the Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company when it opened in 1929 stood north of this spot and had formerly housed the Anderson Motor Company, a local manufacturer of automobiles from 1916 to 1925. East of this spot stood the last of the large wooden buildings that were the home of the Rock Hill Buggy Company. Built in 1892-93 by John G. Anderson, founder, this multi-story frame structure was burned in the spectacular fire of January 6, 1940.