"Ruscombe" (meaning brown hill) was built in 1866 by James Wood Tyson, the younger brother of Jesse Tyson who built the nearby Cylburn Mansion. By the 1860's, the Tyson dynasty, long one of Baltimore's pre-eminent Quaker and industrialist families, controlled the world's production of chromite. Designed by the notable Baltimore architect George Frederick, Ruscombe was sold in 1887 to John V. LeMoyne, a lawyer from Chicago. In 1948 the house and land was sold to Bais Yaakov School for Girls. A fire gutted the front section and attic in 1955. Baltimore City acquired the site in 1973 as part of the Coldspring Newtown development, and rented the building to the Waldorf School. The Azola family purchased and restored the building for commercial use in 2007, and listed Ruscombe on the National Register of Historic Places.