This stone house, commonly known as the "Carroll Hunting Lodge," is one of the oldest in the Mount Washington area, dating from about 1790. It stands on what was once a vast tract owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton. Carroll was on the four Maryland signers of the Declaration of Independence, a member of the General Assembly, a United States Senator, and a very wealthy landowner.
Years later, in the mid-nineteenth century, the property formed a part of a light industrial complex of snuff and tobacco mills along the Western Run.
The great flood of 1868 caused much damage to the mill property, and this imposing structure is the one surviving building. It is an excellent example of Maryland eighteenth architecture in its symmetry and simplicity; the roughness and heaviness of its construction suggest how remote this area was, at the time, from the sophistication of Baltimore City.