Lead's Episcopal congregation selected a site for a new church in July of 1896 and work was begun immediately. The Lead Call noted, "A more central and easily accessible location could not have been decided upon and when finished, Christ's Episcopal Church will be in point of beauty, one of the most magnificent structures in the city."
The new building was originally located between the present Homestake Recreation Building and the U. S. Post Office further down Main Street. However, in 1920 the Homestake decided to acquire that site for relocation of its Hearst Mercantile Company Store, and Christ Episcopal Church was dismantled and moved to its present location here on the corner of Main and Paul Streets. Few changes were made in the church other than the addition of a vestibule and belfry. From 1900 until the early 1960's, the basement of the church served as the location of the Hearst Free Kindergarten.
The bronze statue situated in the churchyard serves as a memorial to Thomas Johnston Grier, Homestake superintendent from 1884-1914. This highly respected citizen and parishioner of Christ Episcopal Church donated an oak pulpit for the church in May of 1898. His statue was sculpted by Allan G. Newman and cast in bronze on July 31, 1916. Originally erected on a small plaza west of the Homestake Recreation Building, it was moved to its present location in 1934.